A summary of WMI’s recent activities and accomplishments can be found below. Your contributions will help to ensure that WMI can continue its efforts on many of these items and be positioned to address new issues as they evolve.
Science and Management
- Completed development of the American Woodcock Conservation Plan, Ruffed Grouse Management Plan, Spruce Grouse Continental Conservation Plan and Western Quail Conservation Plan.
- Continued implementation of the American Woodcock Conservation Plan in the Northeast, northern Appalachian Mountains and upper Great Lakes regions through Regional Woodcock Habitat Initiatives. Received the 2008 Secretary of the Interior’s Cooperative Conservation Award for implementation of the Northern Forest Woodcock Initiative.
- Administered a peer review of the Western Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies’ Sage Grouse Assessment report.
- Assisted the Southeastern Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies with implementation of the Northern Bobwhite Conservation Initiative.
- Partnered with the Woodcock Task Force and the Golden-winged Warbler Working Group to assist National Fish and Wildlife Foundation in the development of a business plan for birds dependent upon early successional habitat.
- Assisted the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service with identification of white-winged and mourning dove research priorities.
- Assisted in the development of an initiative to recover New England cottontails in New Hampshire and Maine with a partnership with state agencies, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation.
Program Review and Policy Development
- Conducted a performance evaluation of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s Migratory Bird Program.
- Conducted an independent review of the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency.
- Interacted with Congress through the Midwest Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies’ to strengthen wildlife benefits in the 2008 Farm Bill.
- Provided leadership and coordination for the Sportsmen’s Climate Change Advisory Group and assisted in editing and publishing the book, Seasons’ End.
Information and Education
- Administered the Conservation Leaders for Tomorrow program, including three instructor training/orientation sessions and six workshops for nearly 100 students from 17 universities.
- Administered the 73rd North American Wildlife and Natural Resources Conference in Phoenix, Arizona (2008), for more than 1,100 participants. Planned the 74th Conference for Arlington, Virginia (2009). Completed negotiations for the 77th Conference in Atlanta, Georgia (2012).
- The monthly “Outdoor News Bulletin” completed its 62nd year of conservation news coverage. The ONB has been produced electronically the past three years.
- Provided financial assistance services to the Northeast Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies, Atlantic Flyway Council, Canadian Wildlife Service and the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
- Administered the Northeast Regional Conservation Needs Grant program that allowed Northeast states to create regional collaborations to address priority topics identified in State Wildlife Action Plans.
- Administered the Northeast Wildlife Damage Management, Research and Outreach Cooperative.
- As part of WMI’s leadership role in the development of the Hunting Heritage Action Plan:
- Conducted a comprehensive assessment of all 50 states and selected NGOs’ hunter recruitment and retention programs,
- Developed an analysis of tax incentives available nationally that encourage hunter and angler access,
- Developed a comprehensive assessment of all 50 states and selected NGOs’ hunting access and awareness programs, and
- Participated in the NSSF Shooting Sports Summit and Task Force 20/20 Project.
Service to Profession and Partners
- WMI staff were actively engaged in numerous regional and national boards, committees and work groups, including:
- National Bobwhite Conservation Initiative (coordinator),
- Chronic Wasting Disease Alliance (coordinator),
- National Conservation Leadership Institute Board (chair) and Selection Committee,
- American Wildlife Conservation Partners (vice-chair),
- Sportsmen’s Climate Change Advisory Group,
- Hunting Heritage Steering Committee,
- National Fish and Wildlife Foundation Board,
- Sporting Conservation Council,
- Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership Board,
- Future of Waterfowl Hunting Working Group,
- Boone and Crockett Club’s Conservation Committee,
- Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Units’ National Cooperators’ Coalition Steering Committee and Administrative Excellence Awards Committee, and
- Committees and Working Groups of the Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies and its regional associations.